Mar 21, 2018
Recently, I’ve been working on a 2D game. Full-time, in fact: I recently graduated early, and I figured I might as well take a year and a half to work on this project before getting a “real” job. I initially started creating a game in Unity, however, I quickly realized that I didn’t actually like the engine. I actually disliked it fairly heavily, and it was hurting my productivity. So, naturally, my next thought was to code the game from scratch.
The natural choice for this was C++. I messed around with making a 2D engine before and enjoyed it, even if I didn’t actually get very far. I took a bit of a different approach this time, intentionally trying to make a game instead of an engine. However, that doesn’t mean that I don’t occasionally encounter engine-dev-related problems. One interesting recent one: optimizing a component of my ECS system.